Some of the General Interview Questions asked in DESCON
- What are the most commonly used grades of steel?
Ans. Grade 40 and Grade 60
- What does Grade 40 mean?
Ans. It means yield strength in thousand psi so Grade 40 meanns 40,000 psi strength.
- Which of them is stronger Grade 40 or 60?
Ans. Grade 40 = 40,000psi
Grade 60 = 60,000 psi, so Grade 60 steel is stronger.
- What do you understand by concrete ratio 1:2:4? Find quantity of each material if cement is 10 cum?
- Why flexible pavement is called flexible?
Ans. Flexible pavement is called flexible because compaction is achieved by water is that is removed there will be no binding while in rigid pavement cement binds the material aggregates together.
- What is the first step that you’ll do if you want to make a road through jungle?
Ans. The first step is preliminary survey called topographical survey to find the details of ground, its slopes. It is similar to a picture of the area.
- Why clearing and grubbing is done?
Ans. If small weeds and roots are present then after some time roots will decay and road will settle from that area resulting in the formation of pits.
- What is LAA value?
Ans. LAA is Los Angeles Abrasion value. Practically it means under pounding action how much powder is produced say if an aggregate is 2 inch thick then after a certain period how much of it will be left.
- What are type of contract?
Ans. a) Lump sump b) Percentage of total cost of project c) unit rate
- What is liquidated damage?
Ans. In simple words if the contractor is unable to complete the task then after each day I start charging him some amount until I can bear the loss say liquidated damage cost is 1% of the project cost. When it exceeds this cost I either terminate the project with the contractor or hire another contractor, I’ll pay the second contractor after deduction of money from the first contractor.
- What is extension time?
- What is bar bending schedule?
- What is yield point?
- Draw elastic curve of steel.
- Draw load distribution diagram of load on road layers.
- Any idea about the thickness of sub-base and base layer?
- What is the thickness of surfacing of road?
Ans. 2 inch to 3 inch and maximum 4 inch.
- How much percentage of dry density is given in roads?
- How to perform soil compaction test?
- How to perform aggregate compaction test?
- In road formation which layer should have highest strength?
- What is the factor to convert from MPa to psi?
- What are types of steel based on physical properties?
Ans. Forged and torque steel. In forged steel there are rings and in torque steel there are spirals. Torque steel is deformed steel.
- What do you mean by elastic limit of stress strain diagram? Which law does it follow?
Ans. In elastic portion stress is proportional to strain. It obeys Hooke’s law.
- Draw the layers of road surface.
- What are types of foundations?
Ans. Shallow and deep foundations
- Name some type of footings.
Ans. Isolated, combined, raft footings etc.
general interview questions, general interview questions, general interview questions, general interview questions,general interview questions, general interview questions, general interview questions, general interview questions